Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Great Kids!

Sometimes I am overwhelmed with the gratitude I feel for my family.

For example, in April the girls and I attended the General Young Women Broadcast. It was a typical Saturday, except for the fact that we had to get into our Sunday clothes that evening and head to the church for a 1 1/2 hour meeting. I always enjoy the talks, but know that it's a sacrifice to ask anyone to give up a Saturday night to hang out with their mom at the church. My girls attended the meeting without one complaint and sat reverently listening. I found myself getting emotional as I reflected on how blessed I am to have such amazing daughters. Daughters that want to do what's right and don't give me too much trouble (unless you count kitchen jobs a huge issue).

A few days ago I was talking to a friend that has been dealing with some struggles in her life. Her comment to me was, "I'm so grateful for your girls! They have loved me when I didn't feel that I was loved. They always seek me out and give me a hug. They have been such a blessing in my life!" Again, how did I become so blessed?

Then there was the Sunday that we had our Stake leaders visit us in Young Women. They played a "Unity Game" with us. The first Stake leader stood up in front with a ball of yarn and talked about someone that she admired, then threw the ball of yarn to her. That person would throw the ball of yarn to the next person, and so forth, until we could all literally see that we were tied together in unity. The first person chosen by the Stake leader was Tori. She talked about how they had gone on a camp out and Tori had been so helpful and friendly. It was another moment when I realized how blessed I am to be her mother.


Just this morning I received an email from one of Emma's teachers: "Hi - This is Terri Lusk. I teach Emma science here at Dixie Middle. She has been such a pleasure to have in class that I wanted to take a minute and tell you what a wonderful daughter you have. Respectful and a friend to everyone. Emma is just a happy girl. Thanks for sharing her with me this year. Ms. Lusk" Emma IS an amazing friend to so many. She IS always happy. She IS a blessing in my life.


I have been watching Isabel lately. She ran for Student Body President, was in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and auditioned for the talent show all within the last 2 weeks. She always exhibits such class. Not only is she extremely talented, but more importantly she treats everyone with respect and love and genuinely lights up the room when she walks in. People can feel that she loves them. It has been a joy to watch her grow up.


And I suppose we shouldn't forget Micah. This morning on the way home from taking the kids to school he said, "Mom, can we please stop by grandma's house on the way home? I need to thank her for the graduation gift and give her a hug." A thoughtful act that was not prompted by anyone. What a great kid.


The examples could go on and on... but today I just wanted to reflect (and record) the gratitude I have for my incredible children! I am so blessed to have these amazing people in my life!

1 comment:

Peg and Her Story said...

Shelly, your kids ARE amazing!!! This was nice to read:)