Sunday, May 16, 2010

Micah's Gift

I loved my Mother's Day gift from Micah. I found it in his backpack after all the celebrations were over and the kids were in bed. He must have forgotten that he made it for me at school.

His gift actually had two parts. The first was a "fill-in-the-blank" poem he had written for me. It said:

I Love You Poem

My mom likes to watch Biggest Loser.
My mom likes to play.
She also likes to snuggle with me.
She is great in every way.

I like the way Mom bakes pizza.
I like the way she shares.
She always tries to not be mean.
And I know she really cares.

My mom is really nice.
She's loveing, yes, it's true.
That's why I want to tell you, Mom,
Just how much I love you.

Love,
Micah Truax

The second part of his gift was a "Kindergarten Recipe Book". Each of the kindergarten students were asked "What is your favorite recipe your mom makes? How does she make it?" The students answers were written down word for word and printed up for all the moms. This was Micah's entry:

Micah - Homemade Pizza

She makes the dough well she gets the ingredients out and some of the ingredients I remember is salt, cheese, sauce and flour and I think - I think vanilla - yeah, vanilla. Then she puts actually some flour on the table then she puts the dough on the table and puts it in a round, flat surface. Then she puts it in a pan in the oven for a little bit. Then she puts some sauce and cheese on it and puts it back in the oven and we wait for it. Then we take it out and put it on the counter then on the plates then we eat it!

Micah loves to help me make homemade pizza. It's one of my kids favorite meals. We usually make 2 pizzas (one cheese, and one pineapple). They actually prefer homemade pizza to frozen pizza or restaurant pizza. Since it's a lot cheaper than a pizza parlor I don't argue with them, especially since it doesn't take too long to make. I'm posting the recipe below, just in case you want to try it for yourself. (Thanks to Tryn Paxton for the recipe!)


Homemade Pizza

1 T active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 T olive oil
2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, oil, and flour. Knead dough for 5 minutes by hand or in a bread machine. You do not need to let this dough rise. Roll dough out on a baking stone or a greased pizza pan sprinkled lightly with cornmeal to prevent sticking.* Use the back of a spoon to spread pizza sauce of choice. Add desired pizza toppings and grated cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

* To prevent a doughy pizza crust, I put the pizza crust into the oven for about 5 minutes prior to putting the pizza sauce, toppings & cheese on the crust.

1 comment:

Annabanana said...

thanks for the recipe