Monday, August 31, 2009

Sacrament Meeting Scare

Yesterday Tori was the youth speaker in our ward. She had worked on her talk all by herself and James and I were looking forward to hearing her speak. For those of you that have never heard Tori speak, she is a great speaker. She is engaging and dynamic.

After the sacrament, the bishopric member announced that Tori would be speaking next. She stood up to speak and began sharing her thoughts on "Integrity". After about the first paragraph I started thinking, "What is going on? She is stumbling over her words. That's not like Tori." Then I realized that it was probably something with her vision. Perhaps her contacts were bugging her, the font was too small, the lighting was bad...

She continued on and I watched her and wished that I could help her not stumble so much. It was so unlike her. Then she started saying the same 2-3 words over and over again. She just couldn't seem to get the words out. I wondered if she was feeling emotional. When suddenly she fainted and fell to the floor.

Instantly James and I jumped up and ran to the stand to check on her. By the time we got to the stand she was just starting to come to. A Doctor from the ward came up and checked her pulse and made sure she was all right. He asked me if she had been fasting. I said, "No". After she rested a bit on the floor, we were able to help her back to her seat where James sat next to her for the rest of the meeting. I went and sat back down with the our other kids and found out that I had been mistaken (off course this should be no surprise since I had been busy with my own Sunday meetings and responsibilities). Tori hadn't eaten that morning. It suddenly started making sense. The day before she had been sick and had stayed in bed all day, hardly eating anything. Sunday she hadn't been feeling 100% yet, but felt that she was okay to go to church. However, again, she hadn't eaten much if any food that morning (our church is at 1 o'clock). No wonder she had such a reaction.

We decided that this would be the most memorable talk Tori ever gives.

(I wish I had a picture or video of her fainting, but no such luck. You'll just have to imagine it.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a scare for all of us. I kept wondering what was going on with Tori - because I know that she is always clear and concise - I wondered if she was nervous, but knew that couldn't be - since she has always been so confident in presentation - Anyway, we are so glad that all is well - Tori - remember to eat!!! We love you.

Debbie said...

I am so glad to hear she is okay. Grandma told me about her fainting yet did not know much other than that. Love,
Aunt Debbie and gang

Beckalita said...

That reminds me of my brother, Mike. Giving a talk as an adult, he fainted 2 or 3 times, each time recovering enough to make another attempt. Finally, on the 3rd or 4th try, the bishop told him he was done and to just sit down. Now he has a reputation and no one asks him to speak. Whatever it takes, I guess.