Monday, August 31, 2009

Our Kindergartner

School started on August 10 this year for Isabel and Micah. After a lot of deliberation, we finally consented to allow Micah to attend kindergarten (the first of our children able to experience this). Not knowing how our youngest and only boy would respond to being thrown into a classroom where he wasn't the center of attention anymore, I held my breath waiting for his return home. The first few days were great. He loved his teacher, he loved learning (although he is constantly saying, "Mom, you don't learn things in kindergarten, you just have fun!"), and he seemed to be making friends.

However, by the end of the first week, we got a note home from the school. "Micah is calling people names." Apparently he had called someone a "stupid-head". We sat down and discussed the importance of treating people with respect, signed the note, and sent it back to the school.

The second week of school I sat down with Micah to do homework and opened his folder to find another note from the school. I said, "Micah, what is this." He said, "I don't know. Let me see it." He grabbed the note (see picture below), read it and fell to the floor sobbing. He cried out "I HATE kindergarten! It's the worst place in the whole world. You can't even hug and kiss there!" After calming him down, we were able to talk about when it's appropriate and who it's appropriate to hug and kiss. Then I asked him to sign the note. He said, "FINE!", grabbed the note from me and signed it adding his own little note (see picture below... it says "Micah will never kiss and hug").



It's going to be a fun year.

2 comments:

Peg and Her Story said...

lol!!!

Beckalita said...

I'll give him a kiss and hug! Gotta love school. :)