Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Let The Adventure Continue

I admit it. I’m not exceptional at math. However, I am good at counting. And I’ve been especially proficient at counting how many times I’ve moved our family in the last “just under 20” years. I can’t recall meeting anyone that I didn’t beat at the “I’ve moved more than you” game. I count the big moves. I count the small moves. Any time I have to pack and move boxes, it counts.

Well. Here we go… again.

James may be happy to know that I will not be counting living with my parents for a few weeks while the kids finish up school in St. George as a “move”. Instead, I’ll call it a “passage of transition”. There is a reason for this. A very good reason.

You see, this next move is a BIG move! It’s what I’m going to call our “Silver Move”. Yes – this will be our 25th move! I want to make this a very special move. I want this move to be the best move yet. I want James and I to really enjoy the opportunity we have to move yet again (And by “James and I”, I mean that I will inevitably get to do most of the packing and moving and James will do everything he can to help me enjoy the move).

So, in preparation for this move, I’ve done a little research.

The silver 25th anniversary is a milestone wedding anniversary. And rightly so! Spending a quarter of a century in love with one person is to be celebrated. So why shouldn’t the 25th move be a milestone in a marriage as well? (I mean, it has been awfully nice of me to follow James around so much…) In anticipation of James helping me enjoy this move a little more, I’ve come across the following ideas (some better than others):

25th Anniversary Traditional Gift Ideas: Silver (Silver is the metal most noted for the twenty-fifth anniversary due to its radiance and brilliance.) Some Alternatives: Tsavorite, Green Garnet. (Set in silver perhaps?)

25th Anniversary Flower: Iris (I actually love flowers, but don’t like them as gifts because they are expensive and then DIE and therefore are, in my opinion, a waste of money… I know, so abnormal for a woman.)

Additional Gift Ideas:
  • Purchase theatre tickets and wrap with a silver ribbon or place in a silver box.
  • Plan a trip to Silver Springs in Florida or Silverstrand Beach in Ireland. (If traveling somewhere with the word “Silver” in it is difficult, I’d settle for Antigua.)

  • Silver Jewelry
  • Make a Silver Wish Tree. Paint a big branch silver and decorate with silver ribbons, ornaments etc. Fill the branches with pictures, tickets for a trip, travelers checks, gift certificates for different events and restaurants you could use on a trip, etc. (James can keep it simple and leave out the tree if necessary.)

Although I'm really going to hate saying good-bye to everyone in St George, I’m really looking forward to this move. Of course, the first step is getting James to see this post… because he would never realize on his own what a big event this move actually is. But, as soon as he realizes, I’m sure he’ll be completely on board with my celebration ideas!

*Disclaimer: Although moving has certainly had its challenges and is most definitely not my favorite activity, I must make it clear that I would follow James to the moon and back millions and billions of times. So although I may complain about the task of “moving”, there are absolutely no complaints about doing whatever it takes to be with James!

No comments: